Tennis team advances to state tournament

Megan Klug, Blue M Editor in Chief

On Saturday, the girls Varsity tennis team travelled to Wichita East High School to compete in regionals with hopes of making it to state. Senior Lauren Robben and junior Olivia Belin will move on as a doubles team along with another doubles team that includes Neely Joyce and Joanna Park. In addition, freshman Kira Schartz will advance in singles.

The team went head to head with Derby, Washburn Rural and Junction City.

With only four days between league and regionals, the girls had to practice hard to fix any flaws in their performance. The main point of success, however, was teamwork.

“[Belin] and I just clicked,” Robben said. “We started to work together as a pair and not two individuals.”

The team as a whole was ecstatic about the achievement.

“I was so nervous until the last point and then I was so proud and happy,” Robben said.

For the entirety of the team, it will be their first shot to compete at state. The excitement and happiness the team contains is undeniable.

“Honestly just going is the most exciting,” Robben said. “I’m just excited to be there and have an opportunity to play and do well.”

State will be held in Topeka on Friday and Saturday. Going into the tournament, the team feels confident.

“I think that if we play as well as we did today we have a really good shot,” Robben said. “This was worth waiting for.”

Along with excitement comes nerves, however.

“I’m definitely excited, but nervous at the same time,” Joyce said. “We’ll be playing some Kansas City teams that are really good.”

Joyce was not surprised with the advancement to state, but is proud of the team for their efforts this season.

“I thought we had a good chance of making it to state because of how well our season has been going,” Joyce said. “It will be my first year and hopefully we can do it again next year.”